Careers Education and School to Work Transition at Trafalgar High School includes the following features:
1. Work Experience Arrangement Program
- Year 9 arranged as required, eg: for integration students 15 years +
- Year 10 all students for one week
- Year 11 arranged on request, eg: as alternative to school camps
- Year 12 arranged on request
2. Structured Workplace Learning
- Year 11 Foundation & Intermediate VCAL Certificate (Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning) – one day per week in the work place.
- Year 12 Senior VCAL Certificate (Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning) – one day per week in the workplace.
- Year 11 and 12 VET in VCE Structured Workplace Learning (program specified hours).
3. THINK Careers Program
- Year 9 students undertake career education and exploration activities including self discovery, interest profile, career exploration, pathways planning, job research, resume and cover letter writing and interview skills. This involves a 7 week career folio preparation program, researching occupations and careers, Job applications, CV and interviews, and visits to local TAFE & University campuses
4. Year 10
- Safe@Work program and testing prior to work experience for one week
- Individual course counselling in selecting VCE / VCAL program.
- Beacon Program including Business Breakfast, POLISH Program, Mock Interviews, Speed Careers & Charter Signing
5. Careers Counselling
- Years 9, 10, 11 & 12 MIPS program (Managed Individual Pathways). Students attend interviews with a careers counsellor, using ‘Careers Solutions’ – computer software program. Follow up interviews and development of ‘Action Plans’. Individual Student Career Files kept.
- Careers counselling is available to all students from the Pathways (Careers) Coordinator and also from MIPS staff.
6. Transition Assistance
- Year 9 to VCE & VET course counselling
- Year 10 to VCE / VCAL / VET course counselling
- Year 12 school to tertiary transition and employment counselling, inc. VTAC (Victorian Tertiary Admission Centre) applications, University, TAFE
- School to Training & Work, inc. Apprenticeships, Traineeships, Part Time School Based Apprenticeships
- Visits to University and TAFE campuses
- Visits to Industry and Job Expos
7. SAM (Schools Access Monash) Program
- Year 12 Tertiary Information Service
- Year 12 A to V of Applying to Higher Education Presentation
- Year 12 SAM subsidised VCE Revision Lectures
- Monash Extension Studies Support
- Year 11/12 Visit to a Metropolitan Campus
- Year 11 Faculty Experience Day
- Year 10 University Campus All Day Visit
- Year 9 SAM School based Interactive Presentation
- Year 8 Amazing Race Around Monash
8. Careers Library Resources
- Job Guides, Career Videos, Pathways charts
- University, TAFE & Independent institutional handbooks
- VTAC Guides, Directory Undergraduate, Australian Job Outlook, TAFE Directory, VICTER (Tertiary Entrance Requirements), Scholarships, Accommodation,
- Apprenticeship and Traineeship handouts, booklets and videos.
- Career Solutions: career exploration program
- Student Exchange programs, Accomodation, Scholarships, GAP year program guides.
- Resume & Cover Letter writing templates.
- WIRL Media – Career videos.
- Defence Force Careers
- Advertisement of known job vacancies and apprenticeships / traineeships on the school’s website and Career’s Office Window
- Aptitude Tests
8. Further Support
- Weekly Newsletter Column
- RSA responsible Service of Alcohol Training to Year 12 (Nov.)
- Tax File Number applications.
- On Track -- Post School Pathways Support
- Year 8 ‘The Real Game’. A digital interactive careers program delivered in the Humanities classes.